1. Be reminded on some gut level of why you want or need to change
2. Avoid everything related to changing
3. Consider those who have changed
4. Compare yourself to those whose lives are different
5. Attack yourself for not changing
6. Start to take the first step towards change
7. Become overwhelmed
8. Wallow a bit
9. Consider the benefits of change
10. Get motivated or inspired by others whose lives are different
11. Be reminded on some gut level of how things are miserable for you now
12. Ask for help
13. Experience a sense of efficacy or encouragement
14. Experience a setback or discouragement
15. Try again
16. Become overwhelmed
17. Avoid people and places reminding you of change, at least for a while
18. Give up
19. Try again
20. Get reminded of how miserable you are
21. Approach everything that you’ve tried to avoid
22. Get overwhelmed
23. Take a small step and stick with it
24. Notice the pros and cons of the small step
25. Rant and rave to other people in your life about how things aren’t working
26. Try to get help again
27. Get motivated, take another step.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Don’t kid yourself.
This is hard work.
We’ve all been there.